Thursday, July 15, 2010

There is Always a Beginning...

Well, here comes the inevitable first post. I though I would start by telling you a bit about myself, so you can better put what I say in perspective.

I’ll begin by saying that I don’t know much, and that which I do know is probably wrong. Do not take anything I say too seriously. It is just my opinion, and is based on the limited experiences that I have had.

I was born and raised in Bulgaria. There I learned most of what I know about working in the woods from my grandfather. I was lucky that he spent much of his time in a house he built in the woods. I doubt he ever set out to educate anyone, but I learned much from working along side him.

I do not subscribe to any one school of thought when it comes to living and working in the woods. I find that the less experience someone has, the more dogmatic they become and the tighter they cling to whatever theory their favorite TV expert professes. I refuse to have any part of that, although I am certain that I do it to some degree without noticing.

My approach to learning is to go out and try to do it. If at any point I chose to use materials or methods for reasons other than practicality, I will try to make a note of it.

So, thank you for reading. Stay tuned, and I’ll try to post as often as I find something worth posting.