Monday, June 13, 2011

Fiskars Softgrip PowerTooth Folding Saw Review

This is a saw I ran across at Home Depot. It was being sold for about $10, so I figured I would give it a try. Usually, the Fiskars saws available on the market are the ones with the sliding blade, and not the folding model you see here. I tried to search for it online later on, and was only able to find it in a few places. It does not appear to be a common model. You can see it here and here.

Specifications:
Overall Length: 10 inches
Blade Length: 8 inches
Weight: 7 oz
Cost: $15.00 (can be found for anywhere from $10 to $25)

a (6)

In design the Fiskars saw resembles the Bahco Laplander. You can see the two of them here.

015

a (13)

The Fiskars is longer by about an inch, both in overall and blade length. The blade of the Fiskars saw appears to be made by Sierra Saw for this particular Fiskars model. The tooth pattern of the two saws is very similar. I am not sure about alignment or specific tooth design, but the size of the teeth looks about the same.

In terms of performance, I could not detect much of a difference between the Fiskars saw and the Bahco Laplander. I expected that the longer blade of the Fiskars would give it an advantage, but I could not see any. Maybe in a different type of wood, the difference would be more noticeable.

The handle of the Fiskars PowerTooth saw is comfortable, and the added length allows for more leverage to be applied with both hands if necessary. The blade locks when both opened and closed just like on the Bahco Laplander. The only problem with the handle was the locking/release button itself. Unlike on the Bahco Laplander, where it is placed on the side of the handle, the button on the Fiskars saw is placed on top. Because of that , when one chokes up on the handle, it is very likely that the release button will be pressed. I found that to be rather annoying.

Other than that one design issue, I found the saw to be very serviceable. For the $10 I paid for it, it turned out to be a solid and well performing tool. It is nothing that would change saw design, or win any awards, but will do just fine for a backpacking saw. If you can find it for a low price, you may want to give it a try. I would not spend $25 or more on it. For that price I would just get a Kershaw or Bahco Laplander.

No comments:

Post a Comment