On several occasions now I have mentioned the forum Blades and Bushcraft. With the amount of time I have been spending there, I figured it deserves its own post.
The forum was started by two individuals a few months back. Like many of us, they were fed up with the heavy handed approach taken by moderators on some other forums, and the mistreatment of members there who would not blindly go with the opinions of those in charge. Unlike the rest of us, they did something about it.
I found out about the forum from another member and fellow blogger. I am usually not a big fan of forums. I mostly spend time there when I am very bored in the office, but I decided to join this one because the moderators honestly seemed set on promoting truly open discussion.
A few things that attracted me to the forum were:
- Members are treated as adults. You do not get demerit points or time out for being a bad boy, nor do you get gold stars for licking the right person’s boots and eating all your vegetables.
- You can have a blog or a YouTube channel without being viewed as a threat to the forum.
- Many people who used to put up great content on other forums but “mysteriously” disappeared have now reappeared on Blades and Bushcraft. If you have been wondering where a certain member from your favorite forum has vanished to, odds are you will find him here.
- You can strongly disagree with the moderators and post your opinion without being banned, and without your posts being locked or deleted.
- Even though the forum has many knife makers, and other manufacturers, none of their products are being pushed at the expense of others.
- The moderators seem to operate with a certain sense of integrity, which is often spoken about on some other forums, but rarely seen.
Blades and Bushcraft is a new forum, and it is still small. As of the date of this post, there are less than 300 members. These are small numbers when compared to other forums with membership in the tens of thousands, but the fact that the growth has been so quick, indicates that there is a real need for this venue. Over there I have found a great group of people, who share information freely. I look forward to seeing the way the forum evolves as it grows.
For those of you who might be interested, I have also put up some of my gear for sale in the Members Classifieds section. So if you have seen me review something here that you like, you can either find it there, or drop me a PM.