Thursday, April 17, 2014

Dual Survival Clarification by Cody Lundin and New Host Announcement

Many of you have seen the previews for the new season of Dual Survival which is scheduled to premier April 23, 2014, and have undoubtedly noticed that Cody Lundin is in the previews despite his earlier announcement that he has been fired from the show. The previews have also made it seem that Cody left because of irresolvable conflict with co-host Joe Teti. Well, Cody just released another statement to clarify the issue. In summary, he specifies that he only filmed four episodes for the fourth season of the show. He confirms that he was fired because conflicts with Discovery over health and safety issue, and that he will be replaced by another host for the remainder of the season. He announced the new host as being Matt Graham from the show Dude, You’re Screwed.

True, False Road Sign

Here is his full statement:

Dear Campers,

Unfortunately, flurries of season four press releases by Discovery Channel have caused unnecessary confusion. Initial press releases implied that I was returning for the entire fourth season of Dual Survival. Not true. Later releases featured quotes from a new Discovery executive producer implying that I quit the show. Not true. Further releases implied that I couldn’t “hack” the show anymore and that I was unable to handle the survival scenarios. Not only are these implications completely false, they question my professional experience, expertise and integrity in a manner that I will not tolerate.

Given the promotional approach chosen by Discovery, I am left with no choice but to speak out to defend my reputation and career as a professional survival instructor with 25 years of experience. To be clear, the implications of my involvement in, and departure from, season four of Dual Survival in the network’s public statements have been inaccurate, uncalled for, unacceptable and untrue. It’s shocking to me that Discovery would treat anyone in this manner, and I am disappointed that this media organization would put its own reputation at risk by choosing sensationalism over facts.

Discovery is well aware of the actual circumstances that led to my firing from the show – circumstances that in no way resemble the message that the network has chosen to present so far. While I have not yet felt the need to address our differences in a much larger public forum, I won’t hesitate to do so if that is what is required to protect my integrity and my career. If the network continues to put forth a narrative regarding my departure, I expect it to do so in a respectful, fact-based way that allows us to part in a professional manner that will not harm either of our future interests.

The network should be aware that programming of this nature must be produced and marketed in a responsible manner with the highest level of regard for the safety and health of the hosts, production personnel, and members of the viewing public. I have shared this message with them many times. Failure to observe this standard could have tragic consequences that, with proper precaution, can be avoided. There can be no compromise when dealing with people’s lives.

It is true that I was scheduled to shoot all episodes for season four, but as I was fired due to differences over safety and health concerns, I filmed only four shows. The shows I participated in were filmed in Sri Lanka, Oman, and Norway. Matt Graham, one of the people from “Dude, you’re screwed” was hired to replace me. As Discovery moves forward with launching the new season of Dual Survival, I hope the network will choose a different tactic for the presentation and marketing of the show that is not at my expense.

On a brighter note, my farewell post was shared more than 720,000 times on Facebook alone with thousands of supportive comments from fans. I very much appreciate the continued support and hope this letter clears up any confusion.

Stay true and never waiver.
Sincerely, Cody Lundin

I find it sad that Discovery keeps taking the low road when it comes to its hosts. They keep trying to cover things up and manufacture drama. I suppose that is what sells to the larger public, but it is disappointing for those of us who watch the shows for the information they provide rather than the stunts they show.

On the other hand, I am very happy that Matt Graham will be taking over. I like the guy, although I am sad that he will be entering the same drama factory as some of the now gone presenters.

For more recent development on the subject, have a look at Cody Lundin States That Discovery Channel Lied About Why He Was Fired From Dual Survival.

No comments:

Post a Comment